Friday 3 May 2013

Book Review: Soulless by Gail Carriger

First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire - and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

Some books just put a massive smile on your face and make you feel really great, Soulless was one of those books and I absolutely loved it.

I have read many historical paranormal romances but none as witty and vibrant as this. The writing was just amazing, I loved the use of language and turn of phrase, Carriger has an individual writing style that I adore.

I enjoyed the storyline, it was entertaining, the touch of steampunk was well executed and the romance toe curling good. There was also lots of humour which I also liked. By far the best element of this book was the characters. They were all so well developed and vibrant, I loved every single one of them.

Alexia was stubborn, witty and impossible to dislike. She somehow managed to be so proper whilst doing the most improper things. She amused me throughout and never once irritated me. Lord Maccon was slightly devastating.  Again, he was impossible to dislike he was surly and moody but had a soft side, his way of cursing made me chuckle throughout. I felt quote sorry for him as he grappled with his feelings for such an impossible woman. Alexia bought out the soft side and they were perfect for one another. I took no persuading to get behind their romance.

I think the best character has to be Lord Akeldama whom I utterly adored. He is flamboyant on a huge scale and had to be the campest, funniest and most endearing vampire I have come across. I struggle to describe him you need to read it to understand just how magnificent he is.

Soulless is a great book that I enjoyed immensely. I highly recommend it to everyone.

4 stars


Published October 1st 2009 by Orbit.  Image courtesy of Goodreads

Review by Kate Phillips 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this a lot-your review reminds me that I need to finish the series as I prepare for the second book in the YA book to come out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!