Monday 28 April 2014

Marvel Monday #1: This weeks comics


I have found lately that the blog is getting a little weighed down with all the Marvel stuff I keep posting.  There are reviews, MCU news, comic news and a heap of other stuff that does not interest all of you and may sometimes hide other posts from view.  I am a massive Marvel fan so not posting Marvel stuff is not an option.  So in an attempt to please everyone I have decided to start a brand new feature called…Marvel Mondays! 




Yeh I know, it's pretty exciting.

Every Monday there will be a Marvel mega post.  I will go through all the new comics for that week, look at what’s coming up and go through all the news concerning the movies, TV shows and comic books.  That way it will all be in one handy post and the blog will be free for other things.

I am pretty excited about this and hope you are too! As always let me know what you think in the comments or tweet me @Katie_la_geek

This week in comics

There were some great new releases this week including the eagerly awaited first issue of Elektra and our first taste of Original Sin which will be a huge in the upcoming months.

First up is Elektra #1 written by W Haden Blackman with art by Michael Del Mondo.

Witness the beautifully violent return of the world’s deadliest assassin. A life spent in silent pain has led Elektra to the precipice of despair. As she prepares to shed her past and take her next step, everything you know about her will change! Death is no escape, but she will find her way as a new option opens up that will take Elektra to places no other Marvel character can go.

In many ways Elektra reminds me a lot of the current Black Widow series which is both a good and a bad thing.  Visually (like BW) Elektra is stunning the art is some of the best I have ever seen it is so detailed (see the cover for an example of this) and uses colour so well.  But like Black Widow there seems to be a lack of personality here, yes it is beautiful and yes it is great to have another female focused comic but I want to know her and see her personality.  A great example of a comic full of character is Hawkeye #1 which is amazing (actually the whole series is amazing you should check it out if you haven’t already).  If it can be done with him then it can be done here too.  Hopefully we will see more of Elektra’s personality in future issues.  Also worth mentioning is the introduction of the ‘Matchmaker’ who for good or bad has the potential to be a really interesting character.

Next is Original Sin #0 written by Mark Waid with art by Jim Cheung and Paco Medina.

IT’S THE PROLOGUE TO THE BIGGEST MARVEL SERIES OF THE SUMMER! WHO IS THE WATCHER? That’s what Nova is wondering after his latest brush with the moon-dwelling enigma he’s encountered before! But what he discovers will have a profound effect on the young hero, as well as priming the pump for the most cataclysmic event in Marvel history! WHAT DID HE SEE?

As you can probably tell by the synopsis Marvel is pretty excited about the Orignal Sin series and if this comic is anything to go by then they have good reason to be.  This is one of my favourite comics of the week.  I much preferred the art in Elektra but in terms of story this ticks all the boxes.  The watcher is a character that crops up a lot in the Marvel Universe but little is known about him.  This insight into who he is and why he does what he does is great and at times touching.  The pairing of The Watcher and teen Sam Alexander aka Nova worked so well and I think that pairing is what really made this story something special.  This is a great start to Original Sin but would also work on its own if you were just interested in The Watcher or Nova.
Next on my list is Iron Patriot #2 written by Ales Kot with art by Garry Brown.

“UNBREAKABLE” PART 2.  Who is controlling the IRON PATRIOT suit?  The conspiracy to destroy America from within grows.  And…James Rhodes dies!!!

I heard the other day that this series might be facing the chop which is a shame as I quite enjoy it.  Things are not going well for James Rhodes in the second comic of this Iron Patriot run and I guess if I have a complaint about this series so far it is that.   I like Rhodes so it hurts when he just cannot catch a break I hope before this series ends we see him a little chirpier.  This comic left things in an interesting place so I can’t wait to see what happens in the next issue.

Next is Avengers Undercover #3 written by Denis Hopeless with art by Timothy Hope II

FACE-TO-FACE WITH ARCADE! What happens when the Murder World survivors confront their former captor? Hint: Someone doesn’t survive!

Every issue of Avengers Undercover makes me want to cry a little.  Life for the survivors of Murder World doesn’t get any easier.  I truly wonder how much they can go through, some seem fine but the cracks are already showing in others.  This is one of my favourite Avengers series at the moment it is a great story full of touching moments, twists and cliff-hangers.  I recommend it to people who have read Avengers Arena.  If you haven't read that particular series then there is probably enough info here to read Avengers Undercover on its own but I would still recommend reading Arena first to get more of an emotional understanding of the characters.

Next is Daredevil #2 written by Mark Waid with art by Javier Rodriguez.

Daredevil’s in over his head in his new hometown, which isn’t at all as he remembers it!  New threats, new obstacles...and a forgotten Marvel hero steps from the shadows to make him feel MOST unwelcome!

Daredevil has never been one of my favourite comic book characters so this series was never really a must read for me I am enjoying it but not like some of the others.  I liked this better than the first it introduces The Shroud aka Maximilian Quincy Coleridge to the series.  I am hoping that he will really shake things up a bit and give me a little more to look forward to.



Also out: What if? Age of Ultron #4, Fantastic Four #3, Dexter Down Under #3 Uncanny Avengers #19, Thunderbolts #25, Superior Spider-Man Team Up #12, Savage Wolverine #17, Guardians of the Galaxy #14, Powers: Bureau #9, All-New Invaders #4, Marvel Universe: Ultimate Spider-Man #25, George Romero’s Empire of the Dead Act one #4

Next week

There are some great titles to look forward to next week.  Here is the rundown of what is coming out on Wednesday: Amazing Spider-Man #1, Uncanny Avengers Annual #1, Silver Surfer #2, Hulk #2, Disney Kingdoms: Seekers of the Weird #4, X-Force #4, Origin II #5, Avengers World #5, Wolverine #5, What if: Age of Ultron #5, Avengers A.I #12, New Avengers #17, All-New X-Men #26, Avengers #28

If you want more information about these comics or any others check out the Marvel website.  You can also visit my Tumblr to see all the Variant covers for this week.

Also before I move on to the news section just a reminder that this Saturday is FREE COMIC BOOK DAY! Yes that’s right I said free.  Check to see if your local comic book store is takeing part and head on down there on Saturday for your free reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!