Thursday 1 May 2014

REVIEW: Silver Surfer #2




By Dan Slott, Michael Allred and Laura Allred

Who is the NEVER QUEEN? How is the entire future of the Marvel Universe tied into her very existence? And why is she trying to DESTROY the Silver Surfer?!  Are these questions important? Sure. But you know what’s just as important? Lunch. Because what Earth girl Dawn Greenwood has for lunch today could change the fate of EVERYTHING!  Not kidding here. This is a very important lunch.

I enjoyed the first issue of the new Silver Surfer series but it didn’t wow me.  It was a little too out there and I just couldn’t really connect.  I often struggle with the first issues in new series, there is never really any room for anything other than the ground work and that doesn’t always work for me.  So, I always make sure I check out the first three or four issues before I give up.  I am so glad I have that rule because the second Silver Surfer #2 improved on issue one tenfold.  It gave me something to invest in and it really started to tell a story that I know I am going to love.

In issue #1 we saw how The Silver Surfer came to be the champion of Impericon.   We were also introduced to Dawn Greenwood a human woman held against her will in order in ensure Norrin Radd’s help destroying the mysterious Never Queen.   The Silver Surfer has no idea who Dawn is but they are linked in a way he is yet to understand.

In Issue #2 we see that not everything is what it seems there are some twists and surprises that I really enjoyed.  We get to meet the Never Queen and see her motivation.  I am still not all that sure what she is but she looks amazing.  The art work especially where she is concerned is really great.  I also liked the Silver Surfer a lot more than I did in the first issue.

My favourite aspect of this comic has to be Dawn.  She is a great character who I find really interesting.  She is an important aspect of this story not because of her link to The Silver Surfer but in her own right.  She may not be an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D or a martial arts expert but she is still strong.  I can’t wait to see what happens next with her and how her relationship with The Silver Surfer evolves.  

4 stars


Varient Covers


Cover by Francesco Francavilla 

For more information about this title and others check out the Marvel website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!